Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Clean Heart, Dirty Hands

I just recently finished reading a memoir by Mary DeMuth, Thin Places.  She encountered a lot of difficult things in her life that made my heart hurt for her,but God was able to redeem her difficult experiences.  She also talked about things that I related to in a powerful way.  One thing was the anxiety of becoming a parent, which I can still relate to on almost a daily basis.

Another idea that really resonated with me was a reminder that, as Christians, we are SUPPOSED to get dirty!  God has redeemed our lives and made our hearts clean.  In response, we should be willing to jump into the places of need to reflect the love of Christ to others.  This was a challenging thought to me, because being the slightly OCD/type A person that I am, I don't like to deviate from the "plan". Someone needs last minute childcare help?  Someone is admitted to the hospital and needs meals for their family?  Someone needs a place to stay for a few days? Someone is standing in front of the grocery store with a sign saying they need food for their kids?  A neighbor is working on a yard project and could use some help?


In all of these situations, I'd like to think I would always jump in and give of myself and my time to help the person in need.  However, my practical side often takes over.  The excuses begin..."I could stop, but then dinner will be really late"; "I don't really have time to make extra food, and I'm not really a very good cook anyways";  "It's really hot outside and my neighbor never really SAID they wanted help"; Our house is already full with a toddler and someone else would just make it stressful". 

I like to stay clean and planned and in my comfort zone.  But can I really experience God in that way?  Can God use me if I won't budge from my "world"?  Here's to letting go and embracing life in a way that is willing to get DIRTY.

Someone hold me accountable, ok?







No comments: