There is a school. Well, it's more than a school. It's a home. It's a place for orphaned children to learn, grow, and be cared for. A friend of mine is a co-founder of this school and it is called Hananasif Orphanage Center (HOCET). As I recently shared with her in an email, I remember a phone conversation we had in 2006 where she was dreaming and speculating on this possibility of this place. She was navigating the world of registering as a non-profit and building a team of people who could support the cause by sharing their talents and skills. Five years later they have come such a long way! The school has partnered with Kujali International and saw it's first graduating class last year. (You can click on the link above to see the complete webiste. And you should!) Children are being loved when they might have otherwise been abandoned. They are receiving education and opportunity. The ultimate goal is self-sustainability so they are learning about entrepreneurship and social enterprise.
~LIFE Giving ~
I love this concept! You don't just give to the organization. You donate a certain amount that buys a tangible item that the school needs. Got $20? You can provide a solar lamp for a student, so that they can do homework after dark. Feeling generous with $50? You can invest in a student's garden by providing seeds and fertilizer for a year. Particularly on our heart, is the school-wide water system. This system would save hours of walking and allow the school to have access to local water. Blake and I were praying about where to give money and we feel God leading us here. Our personal goal is to make sure this water system is paid for in full as soon as we can support it. We are giving as much as we can each month to make this happen. They also need books for a library, a vehicle for transportation, and other things that we take for granted every day. You can click on any of these links to jump in and help out!
I borrowed some pictures off of their website. I hope they don't mind! These are the faces of children whose lives have been changed.

No comments:
Post a Comment