Saturday, May 8, 2010

Humbled

This past Monday was my last day volunteering with the after school program at the Denver Rescue Mission.  As I approach my due date I am increasingly exhausted after work and it's getting harder to sit on the floor and play with the kids.  I realized it was time to take a break before the little one comes.

I started volunteering there in March of 2009.  It was a huge blessing to be a part of the great things going on at the location where I served.  I love that they help meet the tangible needs of families while trying to get them on their feet.  What an amazing way to display the love of Christ.

I feel like my presence was so small, and lately I have been feeling like the worst volunteer ever.  Over the last 6 months or so I have missed several weeks due to being sick or overwhelmed or tired from pregnancy.   That's why I was completely caught off guard when they got everyone's attention at the end of Homework Club last week to recognize me and give me plaque for my work over the past year.   They took a picture of all of the kids and they signed a card for me.  I was so overwhelmed that they would recognize me in that way when my efforts feel so insignificant.  I am humbled by the grace they showed me when my involvement was sporadic at best.  The people that serve there on a daily basis are the ones that truly deserve the recognition.  Hopefully I will be able to show that appreciation in the future.  I plan on going back in some capacity once the baby madness subsides.  :)

To read more about my time there, check out this post from last September: Homework Club Adventures

No comments: