Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kindness

Saturday afternoon my cousin & his girlfriend came over to help me revamp our garden. I am totally clueless about those things. In all seriousness, I could not tell a weed from a flower so I didn't know where to start. I asked them to come over and consult me about what to buy and what needed to be done. They went above any beyond. We went to Home Depot where my cousin bought me a wheel barrow and other necessary yard tools. Then we spent 4 hours trimming bushes, pulling weeds, and creating a new flower bed in the front yard. I was overwhelmed at their generosity. I just asked for a quick consult and they gave me their time and stocked us up on our gardening tools. Now I feel like I have the knowledge to actually take care of our yard. My mom would be so proud.

Today I went on an art studio tour with my friend Ashley. At one gallery a painting was sitting oustide on an easel. It was clear that it had just been painted. Ashley loved it and actually knew the artist. She had worked with her on some community cultural projects. While in the gallery, Ashely got a phone call that caused her to be upset. The artist was around and asked her what was wrong. That began a conversation that somehow lead to how much Ashley liked the artist's latest work outside. The artist said, "You do so much for our community. You can have the painting for $20". (It would have normally been sold for several hundred dollars, at least.) That painting made Ashley's day... maybe her week. :)

A little goes a long way.

No comments: