I cannot figure out how to add a slideshow of pictures to our blog. So, here is a link to all of our pictures:
Blake and I arrived in San Jose at 5:30am after a red-eye flight. We stumbled through customs and went to find the person who was to be waiting for us. Well, those was no person. And there was no one who spoke English around. I had a sinking feeling that our vacation was going downhill fast. Fortunately I remembered that we were getting a car from Budget Car Rental. Since they didn't come to us, we jumped on the van to ride to them. On the ride over I was struck by how everything there seemed technicolor...Blue skies, green mountains, and brightly colored flowers everywhere. I was so glad we were spending a whole week there.
We finally got our rental car and we had a driver take us to the coast where we were staying for the week. The house we rented was amazing. It was on a cliff overlooking the jungle and the ocean. (Pictured here. Yes, that's real!) It had a private pool, decked out kitchen, and wrap around porch. It also had air conditioning... which was the only AC we encountered our entire trip. Most places just don't have walls or you just sweat. We were in a rural surf town with beautiful, secluded beaches. There weren't many tourists, which meant we got to practice our Spanish skills. It also meant you could just pull up under a tree or walk down a winding path and find a beautiful beach. We spent a lot of time walking and reading there.
We went on a few adventures... We went on a horseback riding trip up to an amazing waterfall. We stopped along the way at a house where they cooked us a traditional Costa Rican breakfast and later, lunch. With the help of our tour guides and a rope, we were able to climb to the top of the waterfall and jump off! That was a rush. I've never been rock jumping before, but the water was so cold and it felt great. The next day we went hiking in the rain forest and did a zip line canopy tour. I'm glad we took the opportunity to see the jungle from 100 feet up in a tree.Blake had to take the reins on driving for the whole trip. I conveniently can't drive stick and I was glad not to be navigating the crazy roads in that part of the country. :) I have to brag on him because he got us to our anniversary dinner in the middle of nowhere during a huge thunderstorm. And he got us all of the way from the coast back to San Jose without uttering a single negative phrase. Amazing, but true! Another "highlight" of the trip was realizing how many radio stations in Costa Rica play cheesy American music from the 80's and early 90's. One of my favorite moments was driving down the coast singing "To Be with You" by Mr. Big at the top of our lungs.
Overall, it was a fabulous trip. There is so much more to tell, but I am realistic about the attention span of blog readers. So, I will bring this entry to an end. Pura Vida!
No comments:
Post a Comment