With our 4th wedding anniversary coming up on Friday, I thought I would share the first moment that Blake and I ever "met". After months of urging from mutual friends, Blake decided to set aside his pride and send me an email. It was January 2nd, 2006 and I was living in SC at the time. I had just gone through the most difficult 6 months of my life and I was NOT looking for any new relationships, romantic or otherwise. However, God had other plans!
I got the email below on my lunch break at work. Not sure what to think of it - I printed it out and took it to my grandmother's house so that she and my mom could help me decide if I would write him back. Well, I did write him back. And then we wrote eachother every day for a few months before we finally met. (I actually printed these emails and they came to 150 pages single-spaced!)
Here is how it all began...
January 2, 2006
Hi Emily,
I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but I got your email address last week from your friend Delaine. My name is Blake Stromquist and I'm friends with Kavan Hahn. I don't know if Delaine warned you about me, or that I would be writing you, but here I am. She showed me your bio on the facebook account, and I thought you sounded like some one worth the chance of making a fool of myself to contact. I won't poor my entire heart and soul out on this first email, but I will give you a cliff notes version of myself. I'm 24 and live in Superior Colorado, which is a subburb of northwest Denver. I work as a pilot for a regional airline based in Denver, and I love the outdoors of colorado whether its snowboarding, golfing, or whatever. I'd be happy to fill you in on my fascinating existence, but only if you're interested in hearing it. I'd like to hear more from you and about you. Hopefully Delaine will vouch for me, and assure you that I'm an alright guy to chat with. I hope to hear from you soon.
Blake
January 3, 2006
Hey Blake,
Delaine did tell me about you, so the fact that you wrote isn't wierd at all. Though it is a little embarrassing that you saw me on facebook. I mean, I think I'm dressed up like a ninja turtle in one of those pictures. ha. Oh well, I appreciate your taking a chance... I have to admit, I'm a little jealous that you live in Colorado. I've only been there once but I loved it. I really love the mountains and being outdoors. I hope you don't take it for granted. Well, I'm not sure what to say about myself. Maybe if you ask me some specific questions then I'll know where to start. Cliff notes version? I'm 22 and have lived in South Carolina my whole life. Well, I actually moved to New Orleans for about 4 months and had to move back after the hurricane. That's another story, though. Anyways, I'm a Business Systems Analyst at a corporation called Solectron. I'm not too crazy about the corporate ladder, but its good for now. I feel sure that God has brought me where I am for a reason, so I'm content. I like running, good food, being around my friends and family, and reading. And now I feel wierd just listing stuff about me, so I'll stop. Let me know what you are curious about.
So, tell me about your life. I am wondering how you came to be a pilot - childhood dream or what? How do you spend your time when you're not working? Favorites... music? movies? cereal?
Ok, well now its your turn. Thanks for the e-mail.
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment