Saturday, July 3, 2010

Presley Kate!~ Her Birthday Story

Presley was born only three days after I last posted.  I went into labor on Saturday, June 19th.  We were supposed to go to the Rockies game with family, but we bowed out at the last minute because I was having regular contractions.  They still weren't extremely painful so we went to the mall to walk around and kill time.  I proceeded to eat pizza and a chocolate chip cookie, which turned out to be my last "meal" before our little one arrived over 24 hours later.  I'm glad I chose something healthy!  That night I did not get any sleep because the contractions were getting closer and closer together.  The next morning we headed to the hospital.  I was already exhausted and spent, so getting the news that I had not dilated any further than the 3cm I was the previous Thursday was very discouraging.  My OB would have sent me home except that I had really high blood pressure.  That was really strange because my bp was good all during my pregnancy and I never showed signs of having a problem.  After running some tests they said that I had gestational hypertension.  If I went home I would be on strict bedrest.  She recommended putting me on pitocin to get my labor going to get the baby out as soon as possible.  I went into panic mode realizing that I was going to have to be stuck in the bed during the remainder of my labor.  So much for my plan of using all of the techniques I learned in childbirth class and trying to get by without drugs.  Not being able to get up and deal with the pain meant... bring on the epidural!  The contractions were so bad by the time the anesthesiologist came in the room that I had lost all sense of dignity.  Blake was trying to calm me down.  I don't know how people are able to labor naturally.  Major kudos to all of you out there!

The rest of the day went by in a blur of naps, nausea, blood pressure checks, and listening to the baby's heartbeat on the monitor.  At 11:41pm, our little girl was born!  I was so proud of Blake.  He was right in the mix during all of labor and delivery.  I'm sure he saw things that I don't want to know about.  I do know that I could not have done it without him.  I'm so glad he was in town and not flying the friendly skies somewhere  when I went into labor.  That was a huge answered prayer!

Here are some pics of our little one:

Happy Birthday!

Smiling for grandma:


First "outfit" - It's already too small now!

Two weeks old!



1 comment: