Growing up, my mom was always working on cultivating our yard. She has always had a knack for plants and flowers. She even became a Master gardener in my late high school years. My mom always asked if I wanted to help in the garden, but I was never interested. Bugs, dirt, pine straw, sweat... no thank you. Sometimes she didn't ask - she just told me to get in the yard and do something to help her out. Those times I would play the dutiful daughter, strap on my discman (yup - late 90's), and get the work done. But I HATED it. I always felt a little bad that I didn't like gardening since my mom loved it so much. It was like Ronald McDonald's daughter telling him that she hated hamburgers. Fortunately, I don't think my mom took it personally.
Fast forward to my adult life. Blake and I have lived in our current house for 5 years. From the time we moved in, I have never been interested in doing anything to our yard. Blake has always done the necessary things to keep our lawn alive. I have basically just been enjoying the landscaping work of the previous owner and that was that. I'm not sure what got into us this year, but Blake and I were inspired. I think that we realized the weeds were taking over. It was strange, though. Out of nowhere I started seeing the potential of our yard! In the past couple of weeks I have been on the phone with my mom asking yard questions every other day. I learned the difference between perennials and annuals. I even visited a nursery and bought flowers for the first time! There may be some of my mom's green thumb in me yet. We have a long way to go, but here are some pictures of what we've done so far. My favorite part is that Presley really enjoys being outside, getting dirty, and helping out.
I wish I took "before" pictures, but I didn't. Oh well, here is a little taste of what we've done:
Please notice the purple glove. That is a velour princess glove (complete with plastic ring) that was given to Presley for her last birthday. She didn't have any gardening gloves, so she improvised.
Love the smudge of dirt on her face.
We had to recreate this bed from an old one that had become overrun with rocks, weeds, and grass.
We're waiting for some blooms here. It's tough to appreciate it having not seen what the area looked like before.
We have two barrels like this one. For the "before", picture it half-filled with old dirt and the rest of the way with weeds and dog toys.
No comments:
Post a Comment