Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New York = Eeyore


A couple of weeks ago Presley and I went on an adventure to New York for a week.  The trip was outside of my comfort zone on every level... not sure what to expect, completely outside of our routine,  traveling alone with a toddler, 19 weeks pregnant...  There were some challenging moments for me.  Overall, though, it was great to catch up with family that I hadn't seen in a long time.

The day we were flying to New York, I told Presley where we were going and she heard it as "Eeyore".  I think she thought we were going to see Winnie the Pooh's friend.  Hopefully she wasn't too disappointed.  Presley did great on the plane both ways.  She really loves flying and always yells, "ready to fly!" after being buckled into her seat.  The only hard part was our layover on the way home where they accidentally checked the stroller and I didn't have it.  Exhausted/Delirious todder with no stroller = pure chaos in a busy airport.  She almost tripped about 150 people, but we survived!

Here's a little glance at what we did while in Albany:

Thursday:  We explored Poppie's garden, which is amazing!  Hopefully I can find a picture.  There are fountains, bird feeders, a little pond, flowers, and butterflies everywhere.  Presley loved it out there and spent a lot of time chasing birds and talking to butterflies.  This day we also went to my Aunt Karen's house.  She also has an amazing backyard garden.  Presley enjoyed playing "tracks" (trains) with my cousin Jon and helped water the garden.

Friday: On this day we experienced something that we rarely get to see in Denver - a whole day of rain!  It was actually very nice.  We went to the New York State Museum.  Highlights for Presley were her first carousel ride and visiting the original Sesame Street set that resides there.  She actually took a nap on Friday, which was a sigh of relief for me.

Saturday: We went to the farmer's market near my Aunt Karen's house.  It was fun tasting local food samples and seeing what was available.  Presley gobbled up some hummus and crackers and didn't understand why she couldn't have more... and more.  She kept saying, "find something to eat!"  We also tried some yummy goat cheese and homemade bread.

Sunday: This day was nice because we had a family barbecue at my Poppie's house.  The weather was perfect, so we spent the day oustide in the backyard hanging out and watching the little girls play together.

Monday: We went to a nature preserve where Presley grew quite attached to a pair of binoculars.  We saw turtles, frogs, flowers, fish, and a huge pond.  There was also a lot of poison ivy that caused me quite a bit of anxiety.  I'm highly allergic and I wasn't keen on finding out whether Presley is too.  Fortunately, we escaped with no itchy rashes.  After a chocolate shake with lunch, we called it a good day.



Tuesday: We headed home!  It was a fun, but exhausting week.  I was glad to be home in my own bed again.

I completely forgot to take a camera!  But I got a few shots from my aunts.  There are more to come from my grandfather, I'm sure.  I'll post more when I get them!

Meeting Presley's little cousin, Rosie.
 
 
Presley loved helping water my Aunt Karen's garden. 



I stole these next two pictures from my Aunt Janet's blog.  I hope she doesn't mind!  You know I can't resist the comparison picture.  This was me with my 2 cousins in 1984.  (I was 1!)

This was us a few weeks ago.

No comments: